It’s been a great start to the school year. We have been inventing our own castles this term, inspired by Colin Thompson’s book ‘Castles’. I have been amazed by the quantity and quality of ideas produced across the different groups I teach. We are now moving onto writing our quest stories (where the castles will obviously feature!). The castles are here:
The start of the quest stories are here:
It’s the end of my summer classes for another year! I’ve had a lovely summer with such creative children. This week we were Under the Ground! These were the stages to our work:
1. Read and discuss The Street Beneath My Feet by Yuval Zommer
2. Make collaborative murals of underground worlds and start on our individual worlds
3. Gather things from home that could fit into our worlds
4. Read and discuss The Something by Rebecca Cobb and pictures of huge pits, holes etc.
5. Write personification poetry imagining we ARE the worlds
6 Write stories for our worlds
Just had an amazing 3 days doing art and creative writing with the theme of Fantastical Creatures. Here is a snapshot of the lovely work below. Our 3 stages were:
- Create our fantastical creatures and their home, the “Wonder Garden” (inspired by Jenny Broom)
- Write simile poems for our creatures
- Create word maps for the garden and write stories
Fantastical Creatures, Summer 2017
I don’t usually do children’s birthday parties as I teach regular classes every weekend, but as an exception I had the pleasure of doing one yesterday. We made sock monsters!
I have got a bit carried away myself making quite a few of these lovely puppets. They are so easy to make and really versatile for games and creative activities.
Puppets and role-play is also so helpful for story-building – a lot of potential here!
Art Class, June 2017
I recently ran two workshops at Christmas Fairs (Hollymount School and Holy Trinity Church) hand-printing and painting on bags. Here are some of the beautiful results!
Holy Trinity Church Christmas Fair, 2016, 8 year old student
Holy Trinity Christmas Fair, 3 year old student, 2016
Hollymount School Christmas Fair, 2017, 8 year old student